Your favorite character/s with reasons why.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Your favorite character/s with reasons why.

Post by Jabosha on Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:51 am

Galactus.

Had always seen the name referenced in various Marvel titles especially the Fantastic Four. I thought that his ability to consume worlds was unique, at least from my knowledge of comics at the time, around 1979 or a few years earlier. 1978-9 are the years I recall actually collecting.

His abilities were shocking at the time as any such created character would be. So, I was always interested but never had a story with him in it. The first time I actually, sought out a story with him in was when he fought the Sphinx. His power and domination of the Sphinx sold me on the character. The idea of an entity roaming space with such possibilities was exciting to me. I loved his armor, the way he talked/communicated and a big one, his status within the 616 universe at that time.

But it was John Byrnes amazing FF run and Lim/Starlin run on the 90s Silver Surfer run that tipped things from (not in any order) Spidey, The Thing, The Hulk, Thor, She Hulk, Fantastic Four itself, Colossus, Wolverine, to eventually settling on Galactus. I haven't budged since, not one iota.  

Quick story, there was a comics shop downtown. One day, I walk in and see Fantastic Four #48 for $18 up on the wall behind the guy running the store. It was in good/pretty good condition. I jumped on the chance to have the first appearance of my favorite character. Friends thought I was crazy.

Anyway, that's mine. Yours?
Jabosha
Settled Member
Settled Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Your favorite character/s with reasons why.

Post by Beyonder on Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:50 pm

Beyonder

Why? He is a living concept of Omnipotence something us mere humans cant truly comprehend i value him as a character more than his abilities a entity who would sit away his power just to gain understanding since Omniscience is no fun and plus during his secret wars showings he has been that mysterious cosmic being that we dont know 100% about but we can truly get a small amount of moral understanding from him.
Beyonder
Founder
Founder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jabosha on Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:44 am

None of what I write is a disagreement with your choice. I liked the beyonder myself during the original secret wars.

Imo, your assertion omniscience is no fun IS a human perspective. How would we know it's no fun? We wouldn't/couldn't ever know what it's like. Another thing, you can't claim omniscience and then say he looks for understanding. Omniscince means all knowing. So if he's looking for understanding, then he doesn't know something, thus he cannot be omniscienct. This is why they should use the word, nigh, which means nearly. This dual way of thinking is why cosmic writing is so inconsistent and extremely difficult.

Also the whole nigh argument is what most comic writers hedge their bets on to allow humanoids/entities/races/blobs to win in cosmic struggles.

True omniscience allows an entity to know all outcomes everywhere in all omniverse realities.
Jabosha
Settled Member
Settled Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Beyonder on Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:39 pm

@Jabosha wrote:None of what I write is a disagreement with your choice. I liked the beyonder myself during the original secret wars.

Imo, your assertion omniscience is no fun IS a human perspective. How would we know it's no fun? We wouldn't/couldn't ever know what it's like. Another thing, you can't claim omniscience and then say he looks for understanding. Omniscince means all knowing. So if he's looking for understanding, then he doesn't know something, thus he cannot be omniscienct. This is why they should use the word, nigh, which means nearly. This dual way of thinking is why cosmic writing is so inconsistent and extremely difficult.  

Also the whole nigh argument is what most comic writers hedge their bets on to allow humanoids/entities/races/blobs to win in cosmic struggles.

True omniscience allows an entity to know all outcomes everywhere in all omniverse realities.
He turns off and on his omniscience because of plot......

And here Understanding isnt Knowing so Beyonder isnt Nigh-Omniscient.

"Knowledge isnt understanding."

And omniscience would be annoying in some point or time.

Last edited by Beyonder on Sun May 01, 2016 1:16 pm; edited 4 times in total
Beyonder
Founder
Founder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jabosha on Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:35 am

Remember, knowing, without being able to understand is something humans do and project onto these characters. Which brings me back to narcissism, as it benefits humans to understand the story. Again, it's why cosmic stories don't hold up.

Understanding definitely fits under knowledge. Turning off his omniscience is exactly what you call it. A narcissist plot because it only way the story can makes sense to us.

Someone of the Beyonders caliber, would most definitely understand motivations/actions of humans, with just a mere glance. The Beyonder can feel your emotions, fear, prejudices, beliefs etc. He would know your purpose even though you don't. He'd have complete utter grasp of every microcosm that has affected ones life, all the way to the beginning and I mean the beginning of human civilization. He couldn't really do anything like this without understanding.

Put it this way, if there is something to be understood, then that understanding is somthing to know. Thus it definitely fits under knowledge as in (KNOW-ledge) and the definition of omniscience. Without it, you can't be omniscient.

All that panel does is acknowledge the molecule mans range knowledge is now completed about his situation.

I've actually had this happen to me in real life with equipment I used to fix.

Does knowledge bring understanding, no, I agree here. Is understanding something, that can be known? Absolutely. Or, understanding is a different kind of knowledge, that's it.

Beyonder I'm imploring you to think about our limitations at all times, when arguing cosmic stories.
Jabosha
Settled Member
Settled Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Beyonder on Sun May 01, 2016 1:20 pm

@Jabosha wrote:Remember, knowing, without being able to understand is something humans do and project onto these characters. Which brings me back to narcissism, as it benefits humans to understand the story. Again, it's why cosmic stories don't hold up.

Understanding definitely fits under knowledge. Turning off his omniscience is exactly what you call it. A narcissist plot because it only way the story can makes sense to us.

Someone of the Beyonders caliber, would most definitely understand motivations/actions of humans, with just a mere glance. The Beyonder can feel your emotions, fear, prejudices, beliefs etc. He would know your purpose even though you don't. He'd have complete utter grasp of every microcosm that has affected ones life, all the way to the beginning and I mean the beginning of human civilization. He couldn't really do anything like this without understanding.

Put it this way, if there is something to be understood, then that understanding is somthing to know. Thus it definitely fits under knowledge as in (KNOW-ledge) and the definition of omniscience. Without it, you can't be omniscient.

All that panel does is acknowledge the molecule mans range knowledge is now completed about his situation.

I've actually had this happen to me in real life with equipment I used to fix.

Does knowledge bring understanding, no, I agree here. Is understanding something, that can be known? Absolutely. Or, understanding is a different kind of knowledge, that's it.

Beyonder I'm imploring you to think about our limitations at all times, when arguing cosmic stories.
Cosmic Stories are fun but we all know Beyonder during secret wars was utterly handicapped from beginning to the end.
Beyonder
Founder
Founder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top