Wonder Woman is apparently Confirmed Queer

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wonder Woman is apparently Confirmed Queer

Post by Beyonder on Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:23 am

DC Comic Writer Greg Rucka has apparently confirmed that Wonder Woman, otherwise known as Diana of Themyscira, is now a queer.

Greg Rucka has stated the this decision was to depict the character as such was only “logical” given that her island home, Themyscira, is inhabited and occupied only by strong women, which can be interpreted by some as a “queer culture.”

Greg Rucka has worked on Wonder Woman comics for DC Comics throughout the early 2000s, he has returned to DC Comics this year (2016) for the new Rebirth series commemorating her 75th year in print in DC Comics History as one of the most iconic super heroines of older and modern times for women around the world.

So even with Wonder Woman long and major heterosexual relationships:

• Steve Trevor (First love)
  • Superman (Clark Kent)
  • Aquaman (+Affair)
  • Batman (Bruce Wayne)
  • Trevor Barnes
  • Nemesis

Wonderwoman Dating Profile:

(Dating profile is old when Diana and Clark was together.)

Greg Rucka Statements

Greg Rucka wrote:Ah. We’re talking about the “Northstar Problem.” The character has to stand up and say, “I’M GAY!” in all bold caps for it to be evident.

For my purposes, that’s bad writing. That’s a character stating something that’s not impacting the story. I get nothing for my narrative out of that in almost any case. When a character is being asked point blank, if it’s germane to the story, then you get the answer. But for me, and I think for Nicola as well, for any story we tell — be it Black Magick, be it Wonder Woman, be it a Batman story — we want to show you these characters and their lives, and what they are doing.

We want to show, not tell.

Showing requires bringing in a situation only as it relates to what we’re trying to do overall with the story. And in part one of “Year One” in particular, one of the things we really needed to do in that issue is juxtapose her life and Steve’s. We wanted to establish that there is a connection between these characters long before they see each other. That they share certain things.

Greg Rucka wrote:Hold on. This is important to me, too. By our standards where I am standing of 2016, Themyscira is a queer culture. I’m not hedging that. And anyone who wants to prevaricate on that is being silly.

I’ve said elsewhere that I feel like this has been asked and answered. If Grant Morrison writes an Earth One book where Diana is calling Mala her lover, I don’t think one can get more definitive than that. Now, for those of us who are comics-savvy, we go, “Well, Earth One is not the New 52 or Rebirth.” But all the Earth One books thrive on a distillation of the fundamental truths of these characters.

For the Amazons, it’s just not a word that’s active in their vocabulary. It’s the same way that Diana has to search for the word “brother” to describe Steve’s relationship with his fellow sailors, and Hippolyta says, “The word is ‘brothers.’ We just don’t use it a lot. That’s probably why you don’t remember it.”

It’s not going to happen in “Year One,” but you know like ten minutes after that story is over, Lois Lane lands the interview with the Wonder Woman and asks her where she’s from. Diana will say she’s from Themyscira, an island of all women. Now, I’m not sure Lois would ask, “Does that mean you all sleep together?” because that doesn’t seem to me germane to Lois’s character.

But when someone does open up the question, Diana is like, “Of course we love each other. Some Amazons have been together for thousands of years. Some have been together for only a short time. And sometimes they’ve had several partners at once. Sometimes they break up. But we all have to live together and make it work.”

Greg Rucka wrote:Our job — myself, Nicola, and Liam — is to serve the character. To tell the best stories that we can possibly tell for her, and to the best of our abilities. That is always the eye on the prize for us. If, on the way, we manage to step on bases that expand a larger understanding of Diana’s importance culturally and that answer questions people have, great! And I know this is going to frustrate some people, but that’s not my first order of business.

It can’t be. Because otherwise, I end up writing a polemic, not a story. A polemic is bad narrative.

That said, there was a piece of me that was taken aback when Wonder Woman #2 came out and saw that some people thought all this was still unclear. I don’t know how much clearer I can make it! [laughs]

So, I believe very firmly that the answer should be in the text. It really shouldn’t matter what I say to you. It only matters what you can read in the published work. What you can find in the text.

My personal politics are absolutely always going to influence how I write what I write. But at the end of the day, what I believe doesn’t matter. What matters is what you leave the book with.

It doesn’t matter if I say, “Yes, she’s queer.” Or “No, she’s not queer.” It matters what you get out of the book. Can you find it? Is it there? Is it on the page in action or in deed? Then, there’s your answer.

DC Canon Issues?

Wonder Woman's entire DC history is mostly in canon heterosexual the only time we see Diana doing anything homosexual is in Alternate universes or other unknown reasons.

It is unknown rather DC Comics made Diana Bisexual or Lesbian now as of Greg Rucka and no other writer or employee of DC has stated otherwise as of yet.

Fan Problems?

Majority of fans are outraged by this decision by Greg Rucka into making such a ironic heroine queer (or bisexual) due to them liking the shipping of ;longtime lovers Trevor X Wonder Woman and or Iconic Superman X Wonder Woman fans on both Good and Bad terms are arguing that DC. Is ruining classic characters for no reason other than money and not considering the fans themselves.

No major issues has come out of this.

LGBT Community

The community is praising DC Comics for allowing more openly expressed characters.
Kieran Shiach wrote:The power of stories like these, whether it’s a deep and personal tale wrought with emotion, or some fun and flirty fan art, cannot be underestimated… Seeing characters portrayed as bisexual helped me get a better grasp on my own identity.

Beyonder
Founder
Founder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top